What if I run out of money?
If only I could make enough to pay the bills and follow my heart doing what I’d really love to do?
How will I cope if I get into debt?
These are some of the statements I hear when women are contemplating changes in their lives that would affect their income in the short term.
Can you see how the How’s and What if’s have nothing to do with the here and now? They are all imagined future based fears – as are most of our worries and terrors.
The dread of not having enough money is enough to give anyone the collie wobbles. But, if you have a deep desire or a longing in your heart for change, you have to find ways past the fears around money that keep you stuck in the rut you’re in. How would I know? Because believe me I have been there, done it, worn the tee shirt and then felt the fear and did it anyway.
I gave up my teaching job to follow a vague dream of making a difference even though I was recently widowed, had no clue as to what I was doing or how I would make ends meet. It wasn’t always easy and yet feeling fulfilled and growing to like and accept myself mostly overruled the other insecurities. Sometimes I only just made the amount I needed never mind what I wanted, yet I never stopped investing in myself and pushing just a bit further to create my own personal transformation. It truly is an on going journey.
“You are authentic and truly passionate about your work. i admire you and that fact you are always wanting to push yourself out of your comfort zone too. You are not afraid of admitting there are always going to be things that even you need to change“.
~ Melanie Drage, Worksop, Notts
5 Tips to stop money being the excuse that holds you back
1. Own up to what is actually going on. What is the truth of your money situation? How much do you actually have? Where is it? How do you spend your pennies? Are you careful or do you spend with gay abandon and deal with the consequences later? What are your outgoings?
2. How many financial commitments do you have? It’s really important that you have clarity about your outgoings before you can plan for other eventualities. Your past decisions are directly affecting your present financial circumstances and let’s face it problems and unexpected expense happens to everyone however much they have in the bank. So when you plan build in a rainy day fund too.
3. Now get clear on just how much you’re going to need to create your dream. This is an essential step. What investments do you want/need to make in yourself? What are the practicalities? Make an extensive list of everything it’s going to cost to get you there. Once you and the universe know where you want to go it WILL move you forward . The Law of Attraction says “Ask and it is given” – We have to know what it is we’re putting in a request for.
4. Decluttering your life will bring you more financial freedom. What are the important things? How much have you spent recently that is less than essential, you know the things that aren’t really necessary and after a nano second or two don’t bring you joy? The more you can differentiate the more you will become aware of what is truly important. Hey, and remember this takes time, it won’t happen over night, you have to sit on your own shoulder and become aware of your habits – kind of like when you want to give up eating the wrong kind of foods.
5. I read somewhere that we should each write a money autobiography. Mine would read “I was poor, then I was a bit better off, then I wasn’t, and now I’m a happy bunny” A bit flippant maybe but it’s much better than the deluge of negativity I could get into if I were to be totally real about it.
What you have to do is uncover the hand me down beliefs, the deeply ingrained ‘truths’ you act out even though many of them never belonged to you in the first place. By doing a bit of probing around, listening to the ways in which you speak to yourself and to the tailenders you attach to your thoughts it is possible to become aware of your relationship with money.
This is a really important step if you wish to avoid sabotaging your journey of success.
Do you have any tips for moving forward towards your dreams?
Would love for you to share your thoughts x